Vision is knowing who you are (your purpose), knowing where you’re going (your picture of the future), and knowing the principles you need to guide your journey (your values).
Think of vision as your North Star, guiding you every step of the way and providing you direction whenever you get lost in the busyness of life.
Vision gives you clarity for the future while directing your attention in the present. On the contrary, the lack of vision prevents you from achieving success or significance in life.
“If you have a clear vision of where you want to go, you are not as easily distracted by the many possibilities and agendas that otherwise divert you.” - Timothy Gallwey.
3 elements of Vision
- Purpose — The first element is purpose. Purpose is the reason why you exist. As an individual, your purpose is your why. For businesses, purpose is understanding what business you are in. A purpose isn’t focused on the individual or business. Instead, it’s all about making a difference and adding value.
- Picture — The second element is your picture of the future. The key is to clearly visualize your ideal future. You need to have a clear picture of where you’re going and what you want to achieve. Visualize things and ideal outcomes.
- Core Values — The third element — core values — are the tools you need to guide your decisions and actions. These principles shape your behavior and direct your actions to the right path. Examples of values are discipline, integrity, and honesty.
The purpose of Vision
It’s one thing to want something and it’s another to have a vision. Simply wishing for success to come into your life isn’t enough.
You need to have a vision that inspires you to achieve something greater than what you are and what you’ve accomplished. This is the purpose of vision — to paint a picture of the future that creates passion.
The world’s most successful people have clear vision statements that keep them focused on what truly matters. This is why it’s necessary to have a vision for your life.
Consider this vision statement by Sir Richard Branson:
“To have fun in my journey through life and learn from my mistakes.”
And Oprah Winfrey’s vision statement reads:
“To be a teacher. And to be known for inspiring my students to be more than they thought they could be.”
Having a vision statement allows you to focus on your vision, future, and values. Whatever your vision is, you need to put it into writing.
In the next sections, we’ll show you how to write a mission statement for you and your business.
How to clarify your Vision
To clarify your vision, answer the following questions below.
- Identify your purpose in life.
- What is your why?
- What are you gifts?
- What energizes you?
- What are you passionate about?
- Know where you’re going.
- How do you see yourself 5, 10, 20 years from now?
- What is your ideal future?
- Determine your core values.
- What principles do you need to have in order to achieve your goals?
- What principles or standards of behavior do you need to learn to get there?
Core values are the principles that serve as your guiding philosophy. People with values have greater purpose and fulfilment in their lives. This is why it’s important to identify your core values. According...
BHAG stands for Big, Hairy, Audacious [Goals](https://weekplan.net/goals-okrs/). The term was introduced best-selling author Jim Collins in his book titled “Good to Great, Built to Last.” Collins wanted to create a phrase that powerfully...
## What is a mission statement Simply put, a mission statement is a short paragraph or sentence that highlights how you’ll achieve your vision. The mission is the means to the end (your...
The year is 2050 and your company has grown from just 5 to 30,000 employees across cities around the world. Your stakeholders are impressed with your company’s performance and the top management are...
Time management is a challenge even for the most talented and motivated people. Productivity levels vary from day to day, and modern tools that are supposed to help us work better and faster...
Success does not come easy. At times an individual cannot figure out reasons for lack of success even after allocating sufficient time for his work. There is one missing ingredient to the mix...
When we talk about OKR’s, the first thing that comes to our mind is whether all the top companies using OKR’s or not and if they are using it, what is the key...
April 16 to April 22