Vision is knowing who you are (your purpose), knowing where you’re going (your picture of the future), and knowing the principles you need to guide your journey (your values).
Think of vision as your North Star, guiding you every step of the way and providing you direction whenever you get lost in the busyness of life.
Vision gives you clarity for the future while directing your attention to the present. On the contrary, the lack of vision prevents you from achieving success or significance in life.
“If you have a clear vision of where you want to go, you are not as easily distracted by the many possibilities and agendas that otherwise divert you.” - Timothy Gallwey.
3 elements of Vision
- Purpose — The first element is purpose. The purpose is the reason why you exist. As an individual, your purpose is your why. For businesses, the purpose is understanding what business you are in. A purpose isn’t focused on the individual or business. Instead, it’s all about making a difference and adding value.
- Picture — The second element is your picture of the future. The key is to clearly visualize your ideal future. You need to have a clear picture of where you’re going and what you want to achieve. Visualize things and ideal outcomes.
- Core Values — The third element — core values — are the tools you need to guide your decisions and actions. These principles shape your behavior and direct your actions to the right path. Examples of values are discipline, integrity, and honesty.
The purpose of Vision
It’s one thing to want something and it’s another to have a vision. Simply wishing for success to come into your life isn’t enough.
You need to have a vision that inspires you to achieve something greater than what you are and what you’ve accomplished. This is the purpose of vision — to paint a picture of the future that creates passion.
The world’s most successful people have clear vision statements that keep them focused on what truly matters. This is why it’s necessary to have a vision for your life.
Consider this vision statement by Sir Richard Branson:
“To have fun in my journey through life and learn from my mistakes.”
And Oprah Winfrey’s vision statement reads:
“To be a teacher. And to be known for inspiring my students to be more than they thought they could be.”
Having a vision statement allows you to focus on your vision, future, and values. Whatever your vision is, you need to put it into writing.
In the next sections, we’ll show you how to write a vision and mission statement for you and your business.
How to clarify your Vision
To clarify your vision, answer the following questions below.
- Identify your purpose in life.
- What is your ‘why’?
- What are your gifts?
- What energizes you?
- What are you passionate about?
- Know where you’re going.
- How do you see yourself 5, 10, 20 years from now?
- What is your ideal future?
- Determine your core values.
- What principles do you need to have in order to achieve your goals?
- What principles or standards of behavior do you need to learn to get there?
Learn Everything About Our Core Values
Core values are the principles that serve as your guiding philosophy. People with values have greater purpose and fulfilment in their lives. This is why it’s important to identify your core values. According...
BHAG: Big, Hairy, Audacious Goals by Jim Collins
BHAG stands for Big, Hairy, Audacious [Goals](https://weekplan.net/goals-okrs/). The term was introduced best-selling author Jim Collins in his book titled “Good to Great, Built to Last.” Collins wanted to create a phrase that powerfully...
Learn About Mission Statement & Its Importance
## What is a mission statement Simply put, a mission statement is a short paragraph or sentence that highlights how you’ll achieve your vision. The mission is the means to the end (your...
Learn Everything About Vision & Its Importance
The year is 2050 and your company has grown from just 5 to 30,000 employees across cities around the world. Your stakeholders are impressed with your company’s performance and the top management are...
Top 8 must-have skills for every Entrepreneur
Every entrepreneur is a leader, and leadership roles are highly demanding. There is always a host of expectations to meet and a tremendous amount of pressure to handle. This is especially true for...
5 Best Productivity Apps for Students in 2022
Are you looking for the best productivity apps as a student in 2022? When thinking of productivity, you probably imagine long lists of tasks and deadlines. This category of productivity apps includes tools...
Goal Planning - The Complete Guide to Setting Goals
“Setting goals is the first step from turning invisible to visible.” — Tony Robbins. Goal-setting is an effective method for visualizing and inspiring yourself to achieve your ideal future. The process of defining...
Sneak peek: Quarter goals and big rocks planning