First, the Objective should help in achieving the company goals and should be aligned with the corporate strategy or its vision.
You start by defining 3 to 5 objectives of the company, team or personal levels.
Based on the earlier information, objectives should be qualitative, time-bound, and actionable by the person or team.
- Qualitative and Inspirational - The objective is designed to get people jumping out of bed in the morning with excitement. And while CEOs and VCs may jump out of bed in the morning with joy over a 3% gain in conversion, most mere mortals get excited by a sense of meaning and progress. Use the language of your team. If they want to own it or kill it, use that wording.
- Time Bound - The goal/s should be doable in a month, a quarter. You want it to be a clear sprint toward a goal.
- Actionable by the Team Independently - This is less a problem for start-ups, but bigger companies often struggle because of interdependence. Your Objective has to be truly yours, and you can’t have the excuse of “marketing didn’t market it.”
Following the rules, here we have a few examples.
- If we take this objective ‘’make our web application better,‘’ this objective is not definite. To make it effective, you should be specific on what you want to improve on. You can write another form of this objective to ‘’Reduce the time spent by our client to setup their account to 2 minutes’’, which is significantly more specific and distinct.
- Instead of saying “improve marketing team”, you can do better by saying “Improve marketers ability for writing article entries and social media posts ” so you can create several strategies later on.
- To make the objective measurable, “make a lot of money” can be translated to “Grow revenue by 15%” so that the key results have metrics put into place. It would be easier to compare the outcome by checking on the objectives first.
10 Essential Time Management Skills for Work & Why You Need Them. Time management skills and your career go hand in hand. You can get yourself a job, but if you happen to...
An American businessman took a vacation to a small coastal Mexican village on doctor’s orders. Unable to sleep after an urgent phone call from the office the first morning, he walked out to...
The Gig Economy and the modern business ecosystem have brought productivity to the center of everyone’s attention. People are figuring out new ways and approaches towards increasing their daily work-related output. Lean and...
Ever wished you could work from home? For many people, that dream is increasingly becoming a reality as the Internet lets us work from practically anywhere. Working remotely has many benefits. You can...